Pope Benedict XVI left Vatican City for the last time Thursday.
He will return — not as Pope Benedict XVI, but as pope emeritus — a retired man. Hours later, Benedict became the first pope in about 600 years to retire.
He emerged late in the afternoon from the Apostolic Palace, walking with the help of a cane, for a short car ride to a waiting helicopter that would fly him into the next chapter of his life.
CBS News correspondent Mark Phillips said the crowd outside the palace was large, but not huge, perhaps because Benedict failed to ever garner the sort of public adoration that his predecessor, Pope John Paul II, did, or perhaps because many of those wishing to bid Benedict farewell did so the previous day during his last general audience at St. Peter’s Square.
The sun was just beginning to set over the Roman skyline as the helicopter’s rotors started to spin, and the Vatican bells chimed.
- pope – papież
- for the last time – po raz ostatni
- to return – powrócić
- a retired man – emeryt
- to retire – iść na emeryturę
- to emerge – pojawić się
- the Apostolic Palace – Pałac Apostolski (wiki)
- to walk with the help of a cane – iść o lasce
- a short car ride – krótka przejażdżka samochodem
- chapter – rozdział
- crowd – tłum
- garner – zdobyć
- the sort of … – ten rodzaj …
- public adoration – uwielbienie ludzi
- predecessor – poprzednik
- to bid sb. farewell – żegnać kogoś
- the previous day – poprzedniego dnia
- general audience – audiencja generalna
- St. Peter’s Square – Plac św. Piotra
- papal – papieski
- skyline – horyzont, panorama miasta
- rotors – wirnik śmigłowca
- spin – spun -spun – obracać się
- chime – dzwonić, rozbrzmiewać
Uzupełnij treść artykułu poznanymi słówkami.